David M. Godosky
David Godosky is a former judge and prosecutor. A graduate of Cornell Law School, David has had many verdicts and settlements totaling in the tens of millions of dollars. Many of the cases David handles and has taken to trial involve police misconduct and civil rights violations. David is also actively engaged in the Firm's appellate practice and has argued several cases in the Court of Appeals. After being appointed to the bench by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and serving as a judge, David returned to the Firm's practice as a lead trial attorney.
Recently, David obtained a $25.2 million verdict on behalf of a 34 year-old Brooklyn man who was shot by an NYPD officer, rendering our client a paraplegic. A Brooklyn jury unanimously found in favor of our client. The verdict was recognized as one of the “Top Ten” verdicts in New York State by the National Law Journal (Sims v. City of New York).
Davis also achieved a settlement on behalf of an injured ironworker that was recognized by the New York Law Journal as a “Top Ten” settlement ($7 million in Labatto v. Genting).
David has also obtained numerous multi-million dollar awards on behalf of pedestrians struck by cars and buses, including a $4 million verdict for a 63 year-old woman struck and killed by NYPD squad car.
David has lectured on trial practice for bar organizations and has been listed in New York Magazine and Super Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in New York. David has received the highest rating (AV®) from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings and he is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
David serves on the Board of Directors and as an Officer of the New York City Trial Lawyers Alliance (NYCTLA).
Finally, David was recently inducted into the prestigious International Academy of Trial Lawyers at their meeting July 27-31, 2016.
David lives in Manhattan with his wife and twin daughters.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Products Liability Law
- Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Litigation & Appeals
- New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York
- J.D. - 1992
- Hamilton College, Clinton, New York
- B.A. - 1988
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New York Magazine and Super Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in New York
- Highest rating (AV®) from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- The Best Lawyers in America
- New York Law Journal as a “Top Ten” settlement ($7 million in Labatto v. Genting)
- “Top Ten” verdicts in New York State by the National Law Journal (Sims v. City of New York)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of the City of New York, Member
- Jewish Lawyers Guild, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyer's Association, Member
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Bronx County, Assistant District Attorney
- City of New York, Criminal Court Judge