Call for a Free Consultation
Godosky & Gentile, P.C.
One Of New York City’s Most
Prominent & Respected Litigation Law Firms

Do I have a police brutality case in New York?

New York has a long history of excessive force used by the police. There has been a culture of force stemming from the last two hundred years, originating from a situation of rising crime and lack of control.

However, police brutally cannot be tolerated in today's society, and everything possible must be done to stamp out the illegal culture of excessive force used by police. If you believe that you are a victim of police brutality, it is important to know where the law stands and how you can get justice.

What is police brutality?

Police brutality is when a police officer uses an amount of force that is above and beyond the amount that is necessary in a given situation. Police officers and other government officials have a duty to protect citizens, and not cause unnecessary harm. Every situation is different and requires a differing level of force, however, it is never legal for the police to use unreasonable force in New York.

What does unreasonable force mean?

Reasonable force is considered to be a police officer using the minimum amount of force that is required in order to prevent the person from escape. In addition, they can use the minimum amount of force to prevent themselves and others from injury or death, if they have a good reason to believe that the person they are using force against could be dangerous.

Unreasonable force is being cruel or using brutal force against someone who does not pose a serious thereat. An example of this could be a person who is committing petty theft unarmed. If the individual tries to flee and an officer shoots, this is a gross display of excessive force. This person does not pose a danger to anyone's life.

What can I do if I'm a victim of police brutality?

It is important that you stand up for your rights if you are a victim of police brutality, especially if you believe that it may have been discriminatory in nature. You can file a civil rights complaint, or file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • Legal Leaders Presents Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyers 2014 | Featuring AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms U.S. News & World Report | 2018
  • AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • Insider Exclusive
  • The New York Times
Email Us For A Response

INJURED? Free Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Godosky & Gentile, P.C. 100 Wall Street Suite 1702 New York, NY 10005 Toll Free: 800-538-1768 Phone: 212-742-9700 Fax: 212-742-9706 New York Law Office Map