One Of New York City’s Most
Prominent & Respected Litigation Law Firms

Do I have a police brutality case in New York?

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2018 | Police Brutality

New York has a long history of excessive force used by the police. There has been a culture of force stemming from the last two hundred years, originating from a situation of rising crime and lack of control.

However, police brutally cannot be tolerated in today’s society, and everything possible must be done to stamp out the illegal culture of excessive force used by police. If you believe that you are a victim of police brutality, it is important to know where the law stands and how you can get justice.

What is police brutality?

Police brutality is when a police officer uses an amount of force that is above and beyond the amount that is necessary in a given situation. Police officers and other government officials have a duty to protect citizens, and not cause unnecessary harm. Every situation is different and requires a differing level of force, however, it is never legal for the police to use unreasonable force in New York.

What does unreasonable force mean?

Reasonable force is considered to be a police officer using the minimum amount of force that is required in order to prevent the person from escape. In addition, they can use the minimum amount of force to prevent themselves and others from injury or death, if they have a good reason to believe that the person they are using force against could be dangerous.

Unreasonable force is being cruel or using brutal force against someone who does not pose a serious thereat. An example of this could be a person who is committing petty theft unarmed. If the individual tries to flee and an officer shoots, this is a gross display of excessive force. This person does not pose a danger to anyone’s life.

What can I do if I’m a victim of police brutality?

It is important that you stand up for your rights if you are a victim of police brutality, especially if you believe that it may have been discriminatory in nature. You can file a civil rights complaint, or file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice.