Call for a Free Consultation
Godosky & Gentile, P.C.
One Of New York City’s Most
Prominent & Respected Litigation Law Firms

Can I get workers' compensation if I'm injured overseas?

As the world becomes more connected, many workers employed in the state of New York find that they regularly need to take work trips abroad. This can be exciting and allow you to experience new cultures and countries as part of your job. However, it can also bring with it new risks.

If you become injured in the workplace or while fulfilling work duties while in the United States, most workers are aware that they can file a workers' compensation claim. This claim will almost always allow them to receive compensation for the medical bills that resulted from the injury and the lost wages that were experienced.

However, if you injure yourself as a foreign national working for a United States company or as an employee on an overseas work trip, the compensation procedure could become a little more complex.

Injuring yourself while working overseas

In most cases, injuring yourself while on a work trip overseas will be compensated as it would normally be. For example, let's say that you go to Europe for a business meeting and trip on a hazard left on the floor. If you sprain your ankle and need to pay for hospital care while in Europe, you will be able to file a workers' compensation form relating to the incident.

However, in some cases, there might be issues in gaining compensation after you were injured while working abroad. The following are some of the most common reasons why you might have your workers' compensation claim denied.

The illness you contracted is not covered

If you visit a foreign country, you run the risk of contracting a disease that is not listed under workers' compensation law in the United States. If this is the case, you may not be able to gain compensation.

The injury was not related to work

If you take some time for yourself when on a business trip and become injured while partaking in this activity, it is likely that the injury will not be covered under workers' compensation.

If you have been injured while on a business trip overseas, it is important that you exercise your right to gain workers' compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Lawyers
  • Legal Leaders Presents Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyers 2014 | Featuring AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms U.S. News & World Report | 2018
  • AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • Insider Exclusive
  • The New York Times
Email Us For A Response

INJURED? Free Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Godosky & Gentile, P.C. 100 Wall Street Suite 1702 New York, NY 10005 Toll Free: 800-538-1768 Phone: 212-742-9700 Fax: 212-742-9706 New York Law Office Map