Do I Have A Sexual Harassment Claim?
Many times, sexual harassment claims are he said, she said cases. You may feel helpless and afraid to take action. And how do you know if you have a valid claim in the first place?
At Godosky & Gentile, we stand up for sexual harassment victims in New York City and the surrounding tri-state area. We’ve had notable successes in sexual harassment cases, even representing one of Harvey Weinstein’s early accusers. We understand this is a difficult time for you, and will do everything in our power to help you find justice and closure.
What Counts As Sexual Harassment?
There are many forms of sexual harassment, each as damaging as the last. But they all generally fall under two categories as described by federal and state laws.
- Quid pro quo: You are asked to perform sexual acts as part of your job
- Hostile work environment: You are intimidated, offended or feel unsafe in the workplace
If you believe you are the victim of sexual harassment, you still may not have a case. There are several steps you may have to go through first before you go to court.
What Steps Do You Need To Take?
This is an emotional time, and you may not know where to start. These are some of the first steps sexual harassment victims should take:
- Report the action. Employers are not allowed to retaliate against you for filing a sexual harassment claim. If they do, you could secure even more compensation for your incident. Failing to report the incident, however, could allow your employer to claim they did not know of the harassment or would have otherwise taken steps against it.
- Maintain all documentation. The more evidence you have of the harassment (emails, screenshots, recordings, witness testimonies, etc.), the stronger the claim you have.
- File with the EEOC. Before you file your own lawsuit, you must file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). They will investigate your claim and either file a lawsuit on your behalf, or give you permission to file your own.
Even if the EEOC takes action on your behalf, it is best to consult with an experienced sexual harassment attorney as early as possible. Our lawyers personally assist you in gathering all evidence and going through all necessary steps to seek justice.
Don’t Wait To Get Started — Contact Us Today
The longer you wait, the harder it may be to prove your case. Our attorneys are here to listen to your concerns and help you find the best path forward. Call 212-742-9700 today, or reach out to our Bronx office online to schedule your free initial consultation.